Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bragging on my Baby Girl


My first couple of blogs have been mostly about life with a 2 year old little boy, but I wanted to write something about my baby girl, too. Well, I say baby girl but she's 8 going on 18 and my first baby.

She is so much like me, it's scary. If I ever wonder how I am or how I come across to people, all I have to do is have a conversation with Gracie. She has my sarcasm down pat and what's even scarier is, it's not just imitation...she truly knows what she's saying. Though, I do need to tone mine down some so we can make sure her's doesn't make her write a check her rear can't cash.

She is one of the smartest kids I've ever seen. We are so proud of her. She's now going into 3rd grade and this year she'll begin her RLC (Resource Learning Center) classes for gifted children. Last year, she was tested in lots of different categories and given an IQ test and as a result, she was asked to participate in this class this year. Basically, 3 to 5 hours a week, she'll be taken out of her regular class and she'll go into RLC. While she's there, they will learn to basically "think out of the box". They'll have problem solving and experiments and discussions that dig deeper than regular classes. This year their theme is "Explore", so I'm sure that will cover lots of things. I do remember the teacher also mentioning that they will at some point this year be given a store setting, a check book, and items to purchase, tally up including taxes, and balance their checkbook. Wow...maybe she can help me after that too.

She is a bookworm and proud of it. She's always been interested in books and I'm hoping that rubs off on her brother too. She's in 3rd grade reading on a 5th to 6th grade level. She loves to find a series of books and start at the beginning and go all the way through them and her vocabulary shows it. Can you tell I'm proud of her??

She's finally taken an interest in sports. So far we've played one season of soccer and one season of softball. She just signed up for her 2nd season of soccer and that will start soon. I'll post pictures when that comes up.

But most of all, I'm so proud of her and her stand for God. She's such a sweet Christian girl with a tender heart and worries about others and their well-being and if they're saved or not. I know a lot of adults who don't even care about that.

I know she'll read this so I just wanted to let you know Gracie, that I love you very much and we are so proud of you and the young lady you've become. You have a beautiful heart filled with God's love and anyone would be very lucky to call you their friend. I hope you have a wonderful school year and I know you'll make lots of friends and learn a lot. Just don't go and get smarter than your mother!! I love you :)


1 comment: