Sunday, August 23, 2009

Jacksonisms


Having a two year old is very interesting. It's a time where they're part baby and part big boy/girl. There's the joys and adventures of potty training. There are times where you sit back a lot because "No Mommy, me can do it." I think this is one of the times in their lives that they go through some major changes in all kinds of areas. Along with these changes, some of the funniest things will come out of their mouths. (Some of the weirdest things will go INTO their mouths too, just FYI)

Jackson is not quite 2 1/2 years old now. Just since his birthday in May, I've seen some of the biggest changes in him verbal wise. It's like he went from little words to big sentences overnight. Sometimes it freaks me out when it dawns on me, "Wow, I'm having a conversation with my two year old." A conversation...not a struggle with words or a rant or a temper tantrum. A conversation. Now granted, most of our conversations take place on the potty, but that's neither here nor there. It's just truly amazing to fully realize how your child thinks and feels about things around him/her, and how he/she chooses to express those thoughts. And they can come up with some doozies!

My favorite part of them learning to really talk, is seeing how they look at the world. Talk about an eye opening experience! This is when you truly realize how much they really have paid attention to you and how much they've soaked up and remembered. You will hear things coming back at you that is almost word for word what you said to your husband when you thought they were playing and not paying attention. And as they get older, they get your voice and mannerisms downpat too, but that's a whole other story.

And be ready when they start school! Fun times, especially when they get to be school age and the teacher learns far more about you than she/he cared to! (Don't forget to have the talk about how what's said at home, STAYS at home. Trust me on this. You'll thank me) The teacher doesn't want to know that Daddy has gas or that Mommy's boobs hurt during her cycle or any of that lovely stuff! I know this from both sides as a teacher and then as a parent. I guarantee, teachers will hear some things from some kids that makes her not want to look some parents in the eyes!

I said all of this to say this....kids are unpredictable! They can make you laugh or cry at the drop of a hat. And right now, I am enjoying the 2's so much. Every day, my husband will text, email or call me and ask...."Has he said anything funny yet?" Because we know it's a daily occurrence. So, without further ado, here is a list of Jacksonisms that I've kept up with. Enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Garbage Day:
Jackson hears the garbage truck outside, and stops what he's doing and runs over to me.

Jackson: What's dat noise?
Mommy: I think that's the garbage man.
Jackson: I NEED to go see.

So we both get up and go to the front door where he looks out the side window. He's in awe because they're right in front of our house. He sees the truck pull forward and then the garbage man running behind it to catch up.

Jackson: That man took our garbage, Mommy.
Mommy: Yes, he did.
He stands there a few seconds still watching them, then looks up to me and says..."Well that was berry nice!"

It just floored me that he's not caught up in the world as much as everyone else. He has no clue that we pay these people to come and get our garbage. He just thought it was so nice of them to come and get it for us!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few days ago, we're going to the potty. I walk into the bathroom but he stops at the door. I turn around and he's just standing there looking at his hands. I start to say something, but then he starts yelling....

Jackson: Cut my fingers off!! Cut my fingers off!!
Mommy: What?! Why in the world would I cut your fingers off??
Jackson: Mommy, cut my fingers off!!

At this point, I'm not sure what in the world is going on. I'm trying not to panic but I can't think of a single thing that would make him want his fingers cut off! He runs up to me and puts his fingers in my face....

Jackson: Cut my fingers off, Mommy!!
Mommy: Jackson.....why do you want Mommy to cut your fingers off??

He looks at me like I have three heads and he can't figure out why I'm not understanding what he is so clearly telling me....He gives me this huge sigh...and then...

Jackson: Because....they scratch-ted me!!

Then it dawns on me.....he wants his fingernails cut! Duh! And not to mention, Whew!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overheard between Gracie and Jackson:

Gracie: Jackson, are you a big boy?
Jackson: (sigh) No, Sissy! I Jack-Jack!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, Lawrence hears a noise coming from down the hall. He goes around the corner and sees that Jackson had unlocked the front door's bottom locks and opened the door. Lawrence reaches up and puts the chain on the door and says...

Daddy: Jack! You can't just open the door by yourself! You're dangerous!
Jackson: I not dangerous! I good!


It's never boring around here, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha Cut his fingers off! That is so funny! I'm glad you were able to figure out what he was talking about before you took any drastic measures;-) And the garbage pick up story is just precious. Love that boy! And that gorgeous girl of yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these .....keep 'em coming!!!
    I loved the 2's, with my young ones, but not the 3's. I hope you don't have the same to say....but to think about it, you probably will.
    Take care of yourself and those darlings of ours.

    ReplyDelete